Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Easy Little Black Dress

When I saw this dress over at L'atelier de fil et aiguille, I finally knew what to do with that piece of black wool that was sitting in my stash forever. I always loved the fabric, but the "problem" with it is that it has an almost cheesecloth like texture which shrinks quite a bit when it's washed. Even with a lot of steaming and ironing it's not easy to bring it into it's original shape. I knew therefore that I could not use a complicated pattern with this fabric. Over the years, I had several ideas for dresses or blouses but no one felt right. But this time, I didn't hesitate. Within 2 hours, I had a new dress! For reference, I used a pattern from a tunic with kimono sleeves that I had drafted myself and used before. I shortened the sleeves and lengthened the front and back body. For the hem, I used the selvedge which had a nice finish with white threads: I cut a 2 inch wide band and sewed it onto the dress at the selvedge side to leave the hem unfinished. The turtleneck was doubled with some black fabric to give more volume. I am really pleased by the effect of this dress. Although it's very simple and not very fitted, I feel very comfortable and french-intellectual in it :-)

Als ich dieses Kleid auf dem L'atelier de fil et aiguille Blog gesehen habe, hatte ich endlich die zündende Idee, was ich aus dem schwarzen Wollstoff nähen könnte, der seit Jahren in meiner Stoffkiste liegt. Ich mag den Stoff, deshalb hatte ich ihn auch mit nach San Francisco genommen, aber das "Problem" ist, dass er fast Gaze-ähnlich ist und beim Waschen sehr stark schrumpft. Sogar mit viel Dampf beim Bügeln ist es nicht einfach, ihn in seine ursprüngliche Form zurückzubringen. Ein komplizierter Schnitt kam deshalb nicht in Frage. Nach dem Blog lesen bin ich diesmal sofort zur Tat geschritten und hatte innerhalb von 2 Stunden ein neues Kleid! Als Schnittmuster habe ich ein Tunikamuster mit Fledermausärmel verwendet, das ich selber gezeichnet hatte. Ich habe einfach die Ärmel gekürzt und das Vorder- und Rückenteil zu einem Kleid verlängert. Für den Saum habe ich von den Webkanten 5cm breite Streifen geschnitten und diese dann so aufgenäht, dass die Kanten unversäubert bleiben. Den Rollkragen habe ich mit einem zweiten schwarzen Stoff gedoppelt, so dass er etwas voller ist. Mir gefällt das Kleid
trotz des einfachen Schnittes sehr und ich fühle mich immer sehr französisch-intellektuell wenn ich es trage :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment